Monday, June 29, 2009

Reports from the Blogosphere

After an eventful 24+ hour trip home (thunder storms in New York, stranded in Washington D.C., oy vey), I'm finally back at the World Wide Workshop headquarters and still feel exhilarated after such an amazing Summer Academy! It was such a pleasure to get to know you all.

I have a lot to share with you, but I thought it would be nice to first put the spotlight on what your reflections have been in the blogosphere since we all parted ways:

Denise writes:
"It is very motivating for me to be in a room with a group of West Virginia teachers who care and are willing to give up your summer time to take training that is so intense. You are willing to learn new curriculum and go out on a limb to offer a new class that you think will benefit your students. It makes me proud to watch everyone work and learn. It inspires me to be a better teacher because I want to keep up with everyone else and what they are doing. In fact I wish my own children could of had all of you as teachers because they would have learned so much."
The RED team honing their skills.

Bill offers a great tip for organizing Flash files, and reflects,
"We didn't do physical labor, break a sweat, or lift a finer for much more than typing and eating the incredible meals over the past three days but we had really worked our brains, imaginations, and our mental limits."

And in his inspiring Global Biology blog (which is now added to my blogroll along the right), Bill challenges us to consider what our legacy will be.

Tracy turns in a late homework assignment (tsk, tsk), but at least has a good excuse:
"I purposefully did not complete the homework assignment for the last day of the academy, because for me one of the most powerful learning moments has occurred in the past few days. I became a teacher because I connect with kids and feel like I have an understanding of how to teach content in a way that they can easily grasp. With the Globaloria program, I will have to completely revamp my teaching style."
The NED team learning Flash.

Great stuff! I look forward to hearing more from you all in the coming months, and please have fun with it! This summer is the perfect time to "tinker" with your blogs, and really get energy generated behind our blogosphere for a more vibrant virtual educator's community than ever before.

Your GB,
Rachel

3 comments:

Mrs. Barker said...

Globaloria workshop experience is truly enriching and provides great learning opportunities even though the work all educators put in is tremendous and is often characterized by frustration and puzzlement, but also simultaneous awe and amazement at what we, teachers, can do to better the learning experiences of our students to make them better players in the global arena.

Rachel said...

Thanks for this Ingrida! I think the new educators will be encouraged to know that you understand the frustration! It's all part of the process...

Unknown said...

Frustration is part of the process but is an important learning avenue. When we hit a problem we try different options to solve that problem and in the process learn more. We are role-modeling and teaching the students to be 'problem-solvers." Globaloria curriculum encourages kids to be better problem-solvers as well as the instructors.