Friday, December 28, 2007

RSS Guide: Why syndication is important to Globaloria and Learning



RSS or Really Simple Syndication is a way to allow information to come to you. It eliminates a lot of time consuming web surfing. Before you read on watch this great video.



As you can see, setting up a connection with the websites that you are interested in is a powerful way to save time and makes it much easier for you to stay connected to the online communities that you are interested in. (Note: I should now see the number of RSS subscriptions to this blog go up!)

So how will this help you be a part of the MyGLife project? First it will allow you to have changes to your class wiki be delivered to you. To do this go to your project wiki from the main MyGlife.org site.



Then click on Recent Changes in the left hand navigation box. Go to the bottom of this page and look for the RSS link in the lower left hand corner.




Click on the link and copy the address into your RSS Aggregator (i.e. Google Reader). If you use Firefox then right-click the link and select "copy link location" and you can paste it to Add Subscription in Google Reader.



Once you have the RSS feed in the Reader you can easily track all the wiki changes without ever going to the wiki again!



In this picture the wiki subscriptions are on the left and the changes are provided to you on the right in realtime. So this means you can monitor the wiki activity of your school and every other school in the project by going to this one location and you can read this blog.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I don't think I could survive without RSS anymore. I just recently filtered out the feeds I don't read anymore, and I still have 326 subscriptions. That's a ton of information, but knowing that it's all in one place, and searchable, is comforting. I've learned so much over the last few years because of syndication. It's one of the best things I've ever come across.

I forgot about that RSS video, maybe I'll use that to convince some of my friends to convert to RSS.

Lee Kraus said...

I think that is my mission now, go tell the world. They will come, but wow it sure takes awhile.

Thanks for the comment.